When most people think of chimney sweeping they instantly think of the Victorian era with young children climbing up chimneys in the midst of the Industrial Revolution. It is widely considered to be an ancient profession. Therefore it is all to easy to assume that with the modern world in which we live the need for sweeping and servicing has gone. This could not be further from the truth. As the demand for fireplaces and traditional burning stoves in ones home grows so does the need for thorough chimney maintenance services. Traditional fireplaces and stoves add great character to ones home and are a fantastically efficient and effective source of heating when cared for. If you wish to fully experience the benefits of installing these sources of heat in your home then it is worth investing a little time and money into your project to harness its full potential.
Why Is Chimney Sweeping Necessary?
Chimney sweeping is necessary in removing build-ups of debris in chimneys such as ash and soot. Chimneys function by using the pressure difference caused by heat to create a draught. This draught is drawn over fuels such as coal and wood and allows continuous combustion. A constant operation causes a layer of creosote to build up within the chimney, restricting the flow. This restriction in flow can cause various problems such as:
– Adversely affect the burning of your fire
– Dangers of soot falls
– Dangerous build ups in the layers of creosote which are capable of catching fire
– Blocking the chimney and causing dangerous emissions of harmful fumes
Can I Clean The Chimney Myself?
A thorough chimney sweeping service removes build-ups of debris within your chimney, allowing it to function properly and safely. To ensure the efficient and safe burning of your wood or multi fuel stoves, a professional and correctly qualified chimney sweeping service is crucial. The National Association Of Chimney Sweeps (NACS) is a professional trade association, created to promote high standards for sweeping, inspection and the maintenance of chimneys. Here at East Midland Stoves we are fully NACS qualified, allowing you peace of mind in the knowledge that our expert team are highly experienced in all facets of chimney maintenance and servicing.
How Often Should I Sweep My Chimney?
To ensure that your chimney is in perfect working order it is advisable to have them serviced every year. With an annual chimney maintenance service, we can identify issues such as cracks and leakages and ensure the steady function of your chimney. During this servicing, homeowners also often opt to have their chimney swept, especially if the chimney is in use often. If the chimney has been idle for a prolonged period, perhaps over the summer months, it is advisable to have this cleaned before the burning season to ensure it is clear of debris in time for the burning season. During the burning season it is also advisable to have your chimney swept every three months.
A Few Tips
– Ensure fire safety with both chimney sweeping and servicing on a regular basis. Identifying minor potential issues before they grow into major issues will save you time and money in the long run. Problems such as slower burning or smoke blowing back into the room can also indicate problems such as blockages.
– Burn fuel that is correct for your stove. Wood burning stoves are designed to burn only wood or wood derived products. If you desire a more flexible stove, multi-fuel stoves are capable of burning other fuel sources such as coal.
– Even when a chimney is serviced this does not mean there is still not the potential for fire breaking out. Using safety precautions such as fire guards prevent sparks from potentially setting fire to carpets and floors.
Chimney Sweeping & Servicing
East Midland Stoves provide dedicated chimney sweeping and servicing throughout the East Midlands in locations such as Leicester, Derby and Nottingham. We are fully NACS qualified and our expert team have been sweeping for many years. If you require a chimney sweeping or various other chimney maintenance services contact our team today!