At the end of the burning season, your stove should undergo an annual service. As well as sweeping and inspecting your chimney to ensure it is in a safe and usable condition, an annual service of your stove will include stripping, inspecting and cleaning of the components. Usually we would advise this is undertaken by a HETAS registered engineer, but there are still a few things you can do yourself.
Wood Burning & Multi Fuel Stove Servicing
The following points are given as a general guide:
- Ensure the appliance is cool.
- Remove the internal parts such as ash-pan, firebricks and grate.
- Hoover any remaining debris such as ash.
- Clean the internal surfaces using a wire brush. Hoover any remaining debris.
- Clean the removed parts with a wire brush (grate) or soft brush (firebricks). Check for damage and breaks, if so these pieces should be replaced. Once cleaned or replaced, re-fit the internal components.
- Remove the stove glass and discard of the old or worn rope seal. Clean the old glue from the groove which contained the rope seal.
- Replace, if required, the rope seal and glue it into place with a thermal seal adhesive. Re-fit the stove glass.
- Oil the stove hinges and catches.
- To refresh the look of your stove from the outside, aerosol paint will do the job for painted finishes. Enamelled surfaces should only be cleaned with a damp, soft cloth.
Here at East Midland Stoves we are fully HETAS and NACS registered. We provide a wide range of stoves and chimney installation, servicing and maintenance. If you are interested in seeing what we can do for you, contact our expert team today.